Despite the fact that this is an advertising link - the Trimble Catalyst allows high accuracy (down to centimetre precision!) GNSS positioning on demand on your mobile phone. (It was only a matter of time....)
Just load the application onto your smartphone; sign-up to a preferred precision subscription; connect the external GNSS antenna; and away you go....
The issues in NZ:
- the precise (decimetre and centimetre) coverage is still limited to select metropolitan areas;
- the questions of consistent data availability when the reliance is on Trimble VRS and 3rd party local correction services;
- the cost (unknown to this writer) of the sub-meter corrections delivered by satellite;
- the limitations of the 1-metre service in remote parts of the country posed by the reliance on cellular coverage
The questions for surveyors:
- what will it mean for the survey professional when non-surveyors harness this technology and use it for their own positioning and data capture?
- what will it mean for data companies who accept crowd-sourced positioning information in terms of the integrity of the data captured?
- what will it mean for your expensive RTK GNSS and/or VRS kit that is quickly becoming redundant?